Code Y is used to indicate where a pupil is unable to attend school because:
- The School site, or part of it, is closed due to an unavoidable cause; or
- The transport provided by the school or local authority is not available and where the pupils home is not within walking distance; or
- A local or national emergency has resulted in a widespread disruption to travel which has prevented the pupil from attending school.
To enter a code Y in SIMS .net attendance you need to:
- Open SIMS .net
- Go to Focus | Attendance | Exceptional Circumstances
- Click new
- Enter the date range you require
- Select the appropriate Group Type (e.g. Whole School if the whole school was closed or Individual pupil / Reg Group / Year Group if this was a partial closure)
- Click Search, if appropriate select the individual students / groups
- Choose the Y code in the Code selection box
- Add an appropriate description and then click apply - description must be provided
You will then receive a message stating that the marks have been applied. Every student selected will now have either a ‘Y’ code recorded for attendance sessions within the date range selected.
Codes not being overwritten by exceptional circumstance Y
‘Y’ will overwrite '/,\,L,N,O,U'. - if you have already entered any other code this will need to be removed prior to applying the Exceptional Circumstance